HISTORY OF THE CZECH AND SLOVAK CHEMICAL CONGRESSES
The 70th Congress of Chemists is going to take place in the occasion of the 152th anniversary of the founding of the Czech Chemical Society. At this point, let us share a few historical facts.
It all began with the First Congress of Czech doctors and scientists in Prague in 1880. Its chemical section with 75 participants was organized by Associate Professor Bohuslav Raýman and chaired by Professor Vojtech Safarik. They also received greetings from internationally-recognized chemists Butler, Mendeleev and Menškutin from Russia, and Radziszewski and Randrowski from Poland. Before World War I broke out, five congresses had been held. The sixth one was the Congress of the Czechoslovak Chemical Society (CCS) as the 50th anniversary of the Association of Czech Chemists in 1922. The ninth Congress of CCS in 1932 was the latest congress in a period of the first Czechoslovak Republic. The tenth event was then held in 1946.
The first conference taking place outside Prague was the CCS Congress in Brno in 1949. One year later, there was the Congress of both the CCS and the Slovak Chemical Association held in Brno. In the following five years, five Chemists' Congresses in Banská Štiavnica took place. Other congresses were held in various places around Bohemia, Moravia and Slovakia. Since the dissolution of Czechoslovakia in 1993 congresses have been organized in the Czech or Slovak Republic in turns. Most recently, the 69th conference took place in the High Tatras during September 11 – 15, 2017. In short, Chemical Congresses have been held almost every year since 1949.
Zlín is not a brand new organizer of the Chemical Congress. In 1958 the 18th CCS Congress was held in Gottwaldov and in 1997 Zlín provided the premises for the jubilee 50th Congress of Chemical Society.
Organizing Committee of the Congress
doc. Ing. Stanislav Kafka, CSc. (Chair of the Organizing Committee)
prof. Ing. Jan John, CSc. (Vice-Chair of the Organizing Committee)
prof. Ing. Peter Šimon, DrSc. (Vice-Chair of the Organizing Committee)
RNDr. Helena Pokorná (secretary)
prof. RNDr. Jitka Ulrichová, CSc.
prof. RNDr. Pavel Drašar, DSc.
prof. Ing. Petra Šulcová, Ph.D.
prof. RNDr. Vojtěch Adam, Ph.D.
doc. Dr. Ing. Tomáš Navrátil
doc. RNDr. Václav Slovák, Ph.D.
prof. RNDr. Bohumil Kratochvíl, DSc.
Ing. Alena Vlková
Ing. Radmila Řápková
Scientific Committee of the Congress
prof. Ing. Antonín Klásek, DrSc. (Chair of the Scientific Committee)
Mgr. Robert Vícha, Ph.D. (Vice-Chair of the Scientific Committee)
prof. Ing. Jan Hlaváč, Ph.D.
prof. Ing. Vladimír Šindelář, Ph.D.
prof. Ing. Petra Šulcová, Ph.D.
prof. Ing. Martin Zatloukal, Ph.D. DSc.
prof. RNDr. Hana Čtrnáctová, CSc.
RNDr. Pavel Zachař, CSc.
prof. RNDr. Ivan Holoubek, CSc.
doc. RNDr. Miroslav Fojta, CSc.
doc. Dr. Ing. Tomáš Navrátil, Ph.D.
doc. Ing. Jaromír Lederer, CSc.
prof. Ing. Vladimír Sedlařík, Ph.D.
doc. Ing. et Ing. Ivo Kuřitka, Ph.D. et Ph.D.
prof. Ing. Dušan Baran, Ph.D.
prof. Ing. Tomáš Wágner, DrSc.
doc. Ing. František Buňka, Ph.D.
Local Organizing Committee of the Congress
Ing. Michal Rouchal, Ph.D. (Chair of the Local Organizing Committee)
Ing. Zdeňka Prucková, Ph.D.
Ing. Roman Kimmel, Ph.D.
Ing. Michal Kovář
The town of Zlín with less than 75,000 inhabitants is an industrial and business centre of the Central Moravian region. The history of the town dates back to the Middle Ages with the first written record from 1322. Zlín was a craft centre for the surrounding Wallachian settlement living predominantly on pastoral farming. It was a seat of the estate owners and gradually developed a municipal self-government. Then, the Industrial Revolution brought a change in that peaceful and steady development. The year 1894 was an important milestone of the history of Zlín as the Bata Shoes company was established. An exceptional growth and prosperity of the company and influence of Tomas Bata, the mayor of the town, made Zlín a modern town with an excellent unified architectural style and extraordinary pace of life in the interwar period. The enormous engineering work of Tomas Bata and his team of renowned architects (J. Kotěra, F. L. Gahura, M. Lorenc and V. Karfík) transformed the five-thousand town into an agglomeration of unique functionalist architecture with nearly 44,000 inhabitants. Until now, the factory history has defined the appearance of the town.
Besides producing footwear, Bata company also diversified into chemistry, rubber and processing engineering. Zlín caught the attention of a number of chemists. One of them was Stanislav Landa, the first director of the Zlín Institute of Chemistry and the discoverer of adamantane, unique hydrocarbon with a diamondoid structure. Otto Wichterle’s work is also linked to Zlín. He discovered silon during his work there and published an article "Chemistry in Zlín" in the journal of Chemické listy in 1997 (Chem. Listy 1997, 91, 1054-1055), which you can read here if interested.
Tips for trips
- Zlin Skyscraper – 21st administrative building
- 14I15 Baťa Institute
- Film studios
- Lešná Zoo
- Bata's canal
- Wallachian Open Air Museum
More information and many further tips for trips in Zlín and its surroundings can be found at Tourist Information Portal of Zlín.
For any information needed regarding the 70th Chemical Congress, please feel free to contact us at:
email@example.com (regarding registration and expert program)
firstname.lastname@example.org (regarding meals and refreshments)